"But food is not just a conversational common denominator like the weather is in Britain. The subject, sometimes passionately debated, represents a personal philosophy of life." --Kinta Beevor

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Fennel


     When I was living in Florence, Italy, my friend Alice would cook the most amazing things. We would walk to the daily outdoor market, shop, and then go back to her home and cook.  She often served raw fennel salad.  I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked it's fresh delicate flavor and it's crunch. 
     Now, I have been buying  fennel from the farmers market. I like  eating it raw. It is similar to celery in crunch and texture. I take off the green tops and slice the bulb parts. I store the sliced bulb, like I do celery, in a bowl of water in the refrigerator. The fennel keeps drinking and stays crisp.

No comments:

Post a Comment