"But food is not just a conversational common denominator like the weather is in Britain. The subject, sometimes passionately debated, represents a personal philosophy of life." --Kinta Beevor

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Plant Yourself Where You Will Bloom


        
     In addition to the adage "bloom where you are planted"  I say, whenever possible, "plant yourself where you will bloom."  Optimal health is achieved by consistently making wise choices concerning food, exercise, relationships, as well as one's living and work environment.
     I just spent a month living and painting in the southern California home of a friend and her parents. She and her mom are artist friends I know from my time spent studying classical realism in Florence, Italy. This past month we worked long hours each day in the painting studio attached to their home. I was overwhelmed by the generous spirit in this household.  (Imagine having me as a house guest 24/7 for a month!) I felt like a plant in a greenhouse where everything was geared to promote growth, strength, and blooming.  Having been nurtured--body, mind, and spirit, I left their home and studio encouraged and confident.
     Surrounding oneself with people who inspire you to become a better version of yourself is important. Similarly, be mindful of the impact your living space is having on your mood and productivity.  As I continue to grow as a person, and artist, I plant myself in living and work spaces that meet my needs and motivate and energize me on a daily basis.  Life is full of moves, changes, and adjustments which are well within our control if we have faith and are willing to put in some work to better our situation.

Photo:  my still life is oil on canvas and measures 18" X 24"

No comments:

Post a Comment