"But food is not just a conversational common denominator like the weather is in Britain. The subject, sometimes passionately debated, represents a personal philosophy of life." --Kinta Beevor

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Tostada and Burrito


      I like to make my own burritos and tostadas because they are a quick and tasty meal full of fiber and protein. The burrito makes a great portable meal, and the tostada is great because I can load on more of the fillings since it doesn't have to be folded.  I fill them with fresh tomato, lettuce, onion, avocado, and what I call my burrito mash. I make the mash ahead of time and keep it in the refrigerator. 

Homemade Burrito: 
  • warm Ezekiel tortilla in pan on stove top  
  • remove warm tortilla from pan
  •  dollop onto center of tortilla:  burrito mash, diced fresh tomato, avocado, lettuce, onion, brown basmati rice, chopped fresh cilantro, lime juice, hot sauce
  • fold and roll into burrito shape
 

.
  •  place seam side down in warm pan to seal 
  • turn burrito over and lightly crisp and brown top
 

There's a really nice contrast between the creamy coolness of the avocado and the spicy filling.

 



    Burrito Mash:
         I combine the ingredients in a pan, and let simmer for about 20 minutes.
    • corn
    • black beans
    • onion
    • no-salt-added canned diced tomato
    • tvp (texturized vegetable protein)
    • nutritional yeast
    • chili powder
    • cumin
    • paprika
    • garlic
    • lime juice
    • chipotle hot sauce

    No comments:

    Post a Comment