I like to make my own burritos and tostadas because they are a quick and tasty meal full of fiber and protein. The burrito makes a great portable meal, and the tostada is great because I can load on more of the fillings since it doesn't have to be folded. I fill them with fresh tomato, lettuce, onion, avocado, and what I call my burrito mash. I make the mash ahead of time and keep it in the refrigerator.
- warm Ezekiel tortilla in pan on stove top
- remove warm tortilla from pan
- dollop onto center of tortilla: burrito mash, diced fresh tomato, avocado, lettuce, onion, brown basmati rice, chopped fresh cilantro, lime juice, hot sauce
- fold and roll into burrito shape
- place seam side down in warm pan to seal
- turn burrito over and lightly crisp and brown top
There's a really nice contrast between the creamy coolness of the avocado and the spicy filling.
I combine the ingredients in a pan, and let simmer for about 20 minutes.
- black beans
- no-salt-added canned diced tomato
- tvp (texturized vegetable protein)
- nutritional yeast
- chili powder
- lime juice
- chipotle hot sauce