"But food is not just a conversational common denominator like the weather is in Britain. The subject, sometimes passionately debated, represents a personal philosophy of life." --Kinta Beevor

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Start With What's Already Familiar


 
   I realize that I don't need be a culinary master chef in order to prepare delicious and varied vegan meals. I start with ingredients that are already familiar to me.  Lentils were one of the first things I tried to cook after making the switch to a plant-based diet.  My recipe below has been a favorite of vegans and non-vegans alike.  I make a big pot and freeze the leftovers.
   I rinse the dried lentils in water then toss them (no soaking needed) into a pot of boiling water.  To this I add:
  • chopped roasted onions
  • dried barley
  • no salt added diced tomatoes
  • chopped roasted colored (yellow, red, and orange) peppers
  • TSP chunks
  • tomato paste
  • a bay leaf
  • cumin
  • ground clove
  • thyme
  • turmeric
  • and chipotle hot sauce  
   I let all this simmer until the lentils become tender. 

   Make your own version of my recipe by substituting things you have on hand, and omitting things that you don't have or don't like.

No comments:

Post a Comment