"But food is not just a conversational common denominator like the weather is in Britain. The subject, sometimes passionately debated, represents a personal philosophy of life." --Kinta Beevor

Monday, May 31, 2010

Orange You Glad

     Here are some basic guidelines I follow on a low fat, low sodium, low glycemic index, high fiber, vegan eating plan. Vegan means I don't eat animal products, for example, meat, fish, eggs, and dairy.  Lean cuts of beef, chicken, or fish are not low fat.  Protein from plant sources like beans, for instance, are easier on the digestive system. For further explanation and information on the scientific and medical research go to my helpful links at the top right and click on Dr. Neal Barnard, M.D.
    I use sparingly healthy foods that have a high fat content, like nuts, avocado, and extra virgin olive oil.  I cook and prepare foods without adding any fats or oils. My cooking methods are: steaming, microwaving, grilling, or roasting in the oven.  I drink low fat almond milk or soy milk.
    I don't add salt to my food and I avoid foods with added sodium. I buy, for example, no-salt-added canned diced tomatoes.  I add iodine to my diet by occasionally sprinkling dulse (sea vegetable) granules on my food.
    The low glycemic index part means I don't eat anything with white flour or refined sugar. I eat a variety of fruit, but skip the watermelon and pineapple which are high GI.  I choose a yam instead of a white potato. Typically, bread (including whole wheat), and cold cereals are high glycemic. They break down and turn into glucose quickly after they are eaten because of the holes in their structure. I do eat pasta, beans, whole grains, and Ezekiel sprouted grain tortillas, steel cut oatmeal, and original Fiber One 57% cereal.
    I eat fruit, vegetables, and beans which add a lot of fiber and flavor to the eating plan.  I stay away from artificial sweeteners.   My taste buds and palette have a renewed sensitivity and appreciation for the natural flavors in the food I eat. 
    I do read labels carefully. When shopping for food, I first determine if the item is low glycemic index. Then, I read the label to check the sodium and fat content. Also, I take a daily multi-vitamin.
    Knock, knock.
    Who's there?
    Orange.
    Orange who?
    Orange you glad pasta is allowed.

No comments:

Post a Comment