"But food is not just a conversational common denominator like the weather is in Britain. The subject, sometimes passionately debated, represents a personal philosophy of life." --Kinta Beevor

Saturday, May 22, 2010

A Vegan's Blank Canvas

  
   I admit, it took some time for me to wrap my head around tofu. One day I had an aha! moment that went something like this:  For an artist, the blank canvas is not the work of art; for a writer, the blank page is not the story; and for a vegan cook, the bland tofu is not the meal.
   Before starting an oil painting I always take a little time to prepare the canvas. Similarly, for the best result,  I prep a brick of tofu by putting it in a colander and placing something heavy like a Gladware filled with water on top of it for about 15 to 20 minutes.
   Tofu is very versatile since it takes on the flavors of other ingredients in a dish.  It is low fat and loaded with protein.
   Tofu used to intimidate me.  However, now I see it as an opportunity to be creative and express my ever-developing culinary style while having fun creating masterpieces in the kitchen.

 
Top photo:  block of tofu
Bottom photo:  penne pasta, tomato, tofu

1 comment: