"But food is not just a conversational common denominator like the weather is in Britain. The subject, sometimes passionately debated, represents a personal philosophy of life." --Kinta Beevor

Monday, May 24, 2010

Megan's Amazing Roasted Chick Peas

   My daughter's friend Megan told me I needed to try what she calls the perfect snack. She is right. This amazing snack is as satisfying and fun to munch on as peanuts, but they're not, they're chick peas. One of the great things about this low fat, high fiber, high protein snack is the variety of possible sweet or savory flavor combinations.  I seasoned the batch pictured above with some of my favorite flavors. They turned out crunchy, slightly smoky, and spicy.
   I started with a bowl of cooked and drained chick peas. I sprinkled them with chipotle hot sauce to get them slightly damp. To this I added chili powder, paprika, and garlic powder. I also added dulse granules which are a sea weed chopped into a coarse powder.  Since I don't add salt to my food, the dulse flakes are a great way to add iodine to my diet.  Next, I covered them and gave them a shake to coat evenly. Then, I spread the chick peas onto a baking sheet and popped them into a preheated 425 degree oven for about 35 minutes. While they were roasting I turned them a few times. After the first turn with a flat spatula, they rolled easily in the pan. 
   I tasted samples during the cooking process to determine doneness.  When they were crispy on the outside, but not too dry or hard on the inside, I turned off the oven and left them inside for about ten minutes.
   While they were still warm I put the chick peas in a container and added more of the chipotle hot sauce and seasonings. After giving them a shake to coat them evenly I transferred them onto a plate to cool. The ones that weren't eaten on the spot were stored in a covered container. In my kitchen we call them Megan's Amazing Roasted Chick Peas since she was the one who introduced me to this perfect snack that is beyond good.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment