"But food is not just a conversational common denominator like the weather is in Britain. The subject, sometimes passionately debated, represents a personal philosophy of life." --Kinta Beevor

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Choices


   
    A few weeks ago I went to visit my sister in New Hampshire.  She is very supportive and has encouraged me from the very start of my new eating habits. She thoughtfully prepared for my arrival by getting all kinds of wonderful fresh fruits and vegetables which she artfully displayed on her kitchen island.  She also bought soy milk and high fiber whole grain pasta for me.  
   She asked if it bothered me to be around certain foods that I don't eat.  The answer is no. The sight of meat, cheese, doughnuts, or other things doesn't bother me. I simply choose not to eat them because I feel, think, and look better when I don't eat them.  It's the wildest thing: I have no food cravings since I have stopped assaulting my taste buds, brain, and body with so much fat, salt, refined sugars, white flour, and additives.
    I've lost weight and my skin looks better too. I eat as much as I like whenever I like. There is no measuring, weighing, or counting involved.  I am highly motivated, but my motivation is not weight loss--although it's a positive outcome. I choose to continue to stick to a low fat, low sodium, low glycemic index, high fiber, vegan diet simply because I'm visibly happier and healthier now.
    My purpose is to do what I can to optimize my health and sense of well-being as I age. As I age? ... It's crazy how fifty sneaked up on me.  At this point in my life I have more resolve because, frankly, I have more at stake. When I was younger my body and brain were more forgiving and resilient--or so it seemed anyway.  I have no desire to deviate from a low fat, low sodium, low glycemic, high fiber, vegan diet. I choose to continue because I'm feeling its benefits, and I want to be proactive. It is a way for me to maximize my energy, as well as head off and avoid illness.
    To be perfectly clear, this is about my choices and what works for me; I'm not trying to convince anybody to change their lifestyle.  This blog is for people who are interested in finding out more about this type of plant-based eating.

Top photo:  cantalope, blackberries, blueberries in compote
Bottom photo:   tofu, tomato, fresh basil, avocado, Ezekiel tortilla, black bean and corn salsa

No comments:

Post a Comment