"But food is not just a conversational common denominator like the weather is in Britain. The subject, sometimes passionately debated, represents a personal philosophy of life." --Kinta Beevor

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Discover New Favorites

 
   I realized once I embraced a plant-based diet that I needed to increase the number of selections in  my veggie repertoire. For example, now I try leafy greens that I used to pass by without a second glance. I learn as I go,  adding them to recipes to determine which ones I like.  I discovered that I love swiss chard.  When steamed  the delicious flavor of the tender leaves and stems brings me back for seconds.  To give a comparison, I find the taste of swiss chard  less astringent and less pungent than spinach.
  Keep in mind, with experimentation comes triumph and failure. My son came to visit when I was incorporating some mystery greens--which my husband failed to identify when he picked them up from our local farmers market--into a big pot of soup simmering on the stove top. My son took one whiff and dubbed my creation "fart stew." So you can't win them all. Have a laugh and move on.


No comments:

Post a Comment